March 14, 2016

Watercolor Card - With Sympathy

This is the third and final card for February's card class. Normally I would do four cards in class, but sometimes the techniques I teach will take up a bit more time so we will only be able to create three cards.

This was a fun technique for everyone. Who would not like to create a mess with colors, right? ;)

Well we kinda did in this case. But let's start from the beginning. Here are the papers you need: Card base in daisy white measuring 4 1/4" x 5 1/2", a piece of black cardstock 4"x 5 1/4" and a piece of watercolor paper 3 3/4" x 5"

First I stamped the flower image with Watermark ink onto the watercolor paper. Even so the watermark ink is thick and sticky, you want to make sure to put a good amount of pressure on your stamp so the ink leave a nice impression on your paper. The watercolor paper is rough/ bumpy and therefore it is a bit harder to get good coverage. Once the image is stamped I applied white embossing powder to it and heat-set it. 

Now begins the fun part. I used Spectrum Aqua Markers for this card, but you can use any watercolor or water-based ink. I put blue, light blue, green and turquoise on my craft mat (I have a Ranger mat). You can use any smooth surface that wipes clean for this. Make sure to have some water next to your colors to get them flowing.

I used a fine mister and sprayed water on the watercolor paper to prime it. (2-3 sprays, not to much water!) Next you take a wide bush or tank brush, dip it into a little bit of water, pick up your first color and start dabbing it on your paper. If the color is too dark, use more water...if it's to light wipe your brush and pick up more color...keep adding color and water until you like the turn out. Let dry completely.
The more water you used the longer it will take to dry. Your paper will start to warble, but that's normal! 

Once your pies is dry, put some strong adhesive (best is strong sticky tape) along the edges and carefully place it in the center of the black cardstock. Be careful with the sticky tape, once it is down it will not come up again!!!

Ad to card base, decorate the inside if desired and finish it of with a phrase. Mine is a sympathy card. I took a piece of black cardstock, stamped my phrase with watermark ink and embossed it with white embossing powder.

Would you like to learn these and many more techniques? Would you like to make your own cards? How about coming to one of my monthly card classes and see for yourself how much fun it is? Contact me for more information and leave a comment below. I would love to hear from you.

Stay tuned for more inspiration...

No comments:

Post a Comment